A major event to discuss and celebrate food and growing in Eden District - and why it matters.
The evening will start with a short keynote talk by Naomi van der Velden, a plant ecologist at the Univeristy of Cumbria who also works for Permaculture UK. We will then break out into discussion groups, with these topics proposed so far:
- Local distribution. Mark Lloyd from Sustainable Carlisle will describe their Fair Food and Fair Meals Direct projects which they are setting up in Penrith. Eden District Council can describe their proposed Healthy Weight project.
- Community gardens - how to do them - with the Penrith and Appleby Community Gardeners.
- Local food production, with Jan and Carolyn who rear Mangalitsa rare breed pigs at Eldorhog near Garrigill - and are also doing a straw bale pig barn build.
- CAfS will be running a Sustain Eden stall.
- Resource Cumbria will be attending with a stall demonstrating of their Food Digester and Composter units, available cheaply to residents of Eden, Allerdale and Barrow.
- Penrith and Eden District Freegle will be running a Give and Take of any food surpluses eg apples and damsons.
Entrance is free but any donations welcome. You will also be able to join as a member of PACT for a one-off fee of £1.
Cold drinks and snacks will be available.