Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers is a society for people who are interested in applying the principles of organic cultivation, either as gardeners, smallholders or farmers. It is a local group of Garden Organic (the national organisation previously named the Henry Doubleday Research Association).
We practise and promote practical organic growing methods and are a network of like-minded people. Our meetings are approximately monthly and include garden, small-holding and allotment visits, a seed swap, social events and talks. We regularly take part in events such as Carlisle Gardening Clubs’ plant sale and Apple Day at Acorn Bank.
We produce a quarterly newsletter which provides a link between our many diverse interests. It contains up to date information about our events and practical advice which reflects local knowledge of organic growing in Cumbria.
Our annual subscription is £7.50 per household. Subscriptions from new members who join in October, November or December run until the end of the following year.
Diary of COGF Events in 2017
- Sunday 21st May, 10.00 am - COGF stall at Carlisle Gardening Clubs’ Plant Sale at Rickerby’s, Currock Road, Carlisle
- Sunday 18th June, 10.30 start - Garden visits in South Lakeland
- Sunday 16th July - Visit to smallholding and garden in West Cumbria
- Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th September - Weekend trip to Tatton Park and the Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth
- Sunday 8th October, 11.00 am to 4.30 pm - COGF stall at National Trust Apple Day, Acorn Bank, Temple Sowerby
- Sunday 12th November, 2.00 pm - AGM and talk in Penrith
If you would like to know more about these events, join COGF or just want to know more about us, please contact the Membership Secretary:
To send a message by email, please contact us and select category "Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers".