New Repair Cafés
Two Repair Cafés are starting up in Eden District soon: in Penrith and Kirkby Stephen. If you've got a broken toaster, a jumper with a hole in or a bike thatneeds fixing, please bring it along and hopefully get it fixed for free.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a spanner, a sewing machine, or anything else and want to share your skills then get in touch with Eden Arts or Kirkby Stephen Community Arts.
- Community gardening Tuesdays 10-11am at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane.
- 28 April: Cumbria Sustainability Network Meeting - Carlisle
- 3 May: Meeting - Penrith
- 25 May: A Subversive Plot? - Penrith
- Report on Prof Mike Hambrey's talk on glaciers and climate change
- Plant something in the Garden of Eden
- Why not ask for some asparagus kale seeds or damson tree suckers.
- Or Grow some pea shoots for salad
- Fellside Forager recipes
Appleby Edibles update
Work has continued over the winter months adding more planter beds to the polytunnel and installing a rainwater collection system. One advantage of a polytunnel is you can work what ever the weather.
A wild flower bed is being sown and one member wants to take up bee keeping, has anyone got unused hives we can inherit ?
Environmental action in Eden District
PACT aims to increase our ability in Penrith & the Eden Valley to cope with the challenges of peak oil, climate change and economic sustainability. PACT is an environmental group started in Cumbria in 2008, and is part of the growing transition town network in the UK and around the world. PACT is made up of a group of like-minded and enthusiastic volunteers, committed to making a real difference in the local community.
Penrith Community Gardeners update
We have started gardening again (when weather permits) in the raised beds and peace garden at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane on Tuesdays from 10am. We'll be gardening there and around town in our other planters for an hour and then meet back at the SA for group coffee at 11am.
Anyone is welcome to join in and help to make our town look even better. Also a chance to grow fruit and veg and be supported by folks who know how to do it! Find us on Facebook
Films and reports
- New films: PACT & Freegle at Penrith Show, Grow your own training course, Visiting Edible Gardens, Installing a Chimney Balloon, Zero Carbon Britain, Appleby Edibles, Community Gardening in Penrith and St Andrews Churchyard
- Photo report for Raised Beds for Food bank at Salvation Army in Penrith.
- Penrith wins trophies and accolades at Cumbria in Bloom 2012 due to our Greening and Garden of Eden projects.
- Pride in Penrith - see the Big Spring Clean film.