Action on Plastic
PACT has begun a campaign to reduce single-use plastic in and around Penrith, thanks to funding from Cumbria Council's Waste Prevention Fund.
- We've started a Refill Penrith/Cumbria scheme to let you refill a water bottle wherever you are
- And now we'd like you to make some pledges to reduce your use of plastic
- Community gardening Tuesdays 10-11am at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane.
- Penrith Green Drinks - first Thursday each month
- Sat 12 Jan: Repair Cafe - Penrith
- Weds 16 Jan 7:30pm: PACT Get Together - Penrith
- Sat 9 Feb: Repair Cafe - Penrith
- Sat 9 Mar: Seedy Saturday and Gardening Freegle - Penrith
- Sat 9 Mar: Repair Cafe - Penrith
- Sign up for our newsletter
Three Repair Cafés have started up in Eden District: in Penrith, Kirkby Stephen and Alston. If you've got a broken toaster, a jumper with a hole in or a bike that needs fixing, please bring it along and hopefully get it fixed for free.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a spanner, a sewing machine, or anything else and want to share your skills then get in touch with us or Kirkby Stephen Community Arts. Read Chris' account of the first Penrith cafe and watch some films.
Appleby Edibles October 2018 update
This year has gone well, with lots grown again by 16 Members and an RHS Community Award for 'It's your neighbourhood.' The workshop as part of CAfS 'Green Build' Programme was a first of it's type for the site. If any one would like a bed inside or out for 2019 please let Lucy know.
How Appleby Edibles began:
Environmental action in Eden District
PACT aims to increase our ability in Penrith & the Eden Valley to cope with the challenges of peak oil, climate change and economic sustainability. PACT is an environmental group started in Cumbria in 2008, and is part of the growing transition town network in the UK and around the world. PACT is made up of a group of like-minded and enthusiastic volunteers, committed to making a real difference in the local community.
Penrith Community Gardeners update
We have started gardening again (when weather permits) in the raised beds and peace garden at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane on Tuesdays from 10am. We'll be gardening there and around town in our other planters for an hour and then meet back at the SA for group coffee at 11am.
Anyone is welcome to join in and help to make our town look even better. Also a chance to grow fruit and veg and be supported by folks who know how to do it! Find us on Facebook
Films and reports
- New films: PACT & Freegle at Penrith Show, Grow your own training course, Visiting Edible Gardens, Installing a Chimney Balloon, Zero Carbon Britain, Appleby Edibles, Community Gardening in Penrith and St Andrews Churchyard
- Photo report for Raised Beds for Food bank at Salvation Army in Penrith.
- Penrith wins trophies and accolades at Cumbria in Bloom 2012 due to our Greening and Garden of Eden projects.
- Pride in Penrith - see the Big Spring Clean film.