Freegle Give and Take
- Get a freebie at the next free jumble sale.
- Bring along smaller items to give away please.
- Wear a mask - we'll be outside if we can.
- At Newbiggin, Saturday 5th Feb, 10am-12noon.
PACT director Richard Waller explains his electric set up at home in Penrith, reducing their carbon footprint and aiming to be energy independent. Solar PV on the roof provides power for the house and EV car, with energy storage in a large battery and hot water cylinder - which can survive a power cut!
Action on Plastic
PACT has begun a campaign to reduce single-use plastic in and around Penrith, thanks to funding from Cumbria Council's Waste Prevention Fund.
- We've started a Refill Penrith/Cumbria scheme to let you refill a water bottle wherever you are
- And now we'd like you to make some pledges to reduce your use of plastic
- Penrith Repair Café open 10am-1pm Saturday 12th February 2021
- The Penrith Community Gardeners meet on Tuesday mornings at 10am at the Salvation Army at Hunter Lane for couple of hours around town of 'green gym' and 'vocal chord' exercise not forgetting smiles and laughter!
- Sign up for our newsletter
Repair Cafés are running in Eden District in Penrith and Alston. If you've got a broken toaster, a jumper with a hole in or a bike that needs fixing, please bring it along and hopefully get it fixed for free.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a spanner, a sewing machine, or anything else and want to share your skills then get in touch with us. Read Chris' account of the first Penrith cafe and watch some films.
We’re members of a partnership of more than seventy organisations working towards the shared goal of a zero-carbon Cumbria by 2037. The National Lottery's Climate Action Fund is funding the Zero Carbon Cumbria project for five years from 2021 - thanks!
For PACT, it means we can greatly expand on the popular events we run in Eden - from repair cafes to Freegle Give and Takes - and it’ll allow us to explore some exciting new ones, too.
Our resident Apple Expert, Hilary Wilson, has given demonstrations of pruning and more at St. Annes Almshouses with fellow Orchardist Chris Braithwaite. A small tree nursery, including apple rootstock for grafting next year is growing well.
Community Apple Juicing with a stall from Garden Organic and tool care by Kingsharp went well in October, with help from The North Cumbria Orchard Group.
We are still working towards full accessibility and signage so that people can find us, but have new members without looking and more welcome, hoping to put together a team who can work together to recover the polytunnel this Winter. Please get in touch if you, or anyone that you know can help with this.
Winter Re-planting of Heritage Apple Cordon along the Railway fence. Saturday December 18th 10-3. Please bring a spade if you have one. Vegetable soup provided.
Regular work days, Tuesdays 10am-12noon.
Environmental action in Eden District
PACT aims to increase our ability in Penrith & the Eden Valley to cope with the challenges of peak oil, climate change and economic sustainability. PACT is an environmental group started in Cumbria in 2008, and is part of the growing transition town network in the UK and around the world. PACT is made up of a group of like-minded and enthusiastic volunteers, committed to making a real difference in the local community.
Penrith Community Gardeners update
We are gardening (when weather permits) in the raised beds and peace garden at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane on Tuesdays from 10am. We'll be gardening there and around town in our other planters for an hour and then meet back at the SA for group coffee at 11am.
Anyone is welcome to join in and help to make our town look even better. Also a chance to grow fruit and veg and be supported by folks who know how to do it! Find us on Facebook
Films and reports
- New films: PACT & Freegle at Penrith Show, Grow your own training course, Visiting Edible Gardens, Installing a Chimney Balloon, Zero Carbon Britain, Appleby Edibles, Community Gardening in Penrith and St Andrews Churchyard
- Photo report for Raised Beds for Food bank at Salvation Army in Penrith.
- Penrith wins trophies and accolades at Cumbria in Bloom 2012 due to our Greening and Garden of Eden projects.
- Pride in Penrith - see the Big Spring Clean film.