Hoverflies, not hover mowers
To increase biodiversity, we’d like to encourage people in Penrith and Eden District to let their grass grow longer during the summer - lawns, verges and common areas such as village greens.
Action on Plastic
PACT has begun a campaign to reduce single-use plastic in and around Penrith, thanks to funding from Cumbria Council's Waste Prevention Fund.
- We've started a Refill Penrith/Cumbria scheme to let you refill a water bottle wherever you are
- And now we'd like you to make some pledges to reduce your use of plastic
- All PACT, Repair Cafe and garderning get togethers are cancelled for the immediate future. Stay at home and keep safe.
- We will organising online shortly. Our next virtual get together is on Weds, 22 April.
- The Penrith Community Gardeners meet on Tuesday mornings at 10am at the Salvation Army at Hunter Lane for couple of hours around town of 'green gym' and 'vocal chord' exercise not forgetting smiles and laughter!
- Penrith Green Drinks - first Thursday each month
- Sat 28 Mar: Cancelled Freegle Give and Take - Shap
- Sign up for our newsletter
Repair Cafés are running in Eden District in Penrith and Alston - and occasionally in Kirkby Stephen. If you've got a broken toaster, a jumper with a hole in or a bike that needs fixing, please bring it along and hopefully get it fixed for free.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a spanner, a sewing machine, or anything else and want to share your skills then get in touch with us. Read Chris' account of the first Penrith cafe and watch some films.
We're staying! Happy New Year. Following meetings with The Appleby Heritage Centre, a few of the more pro-active AE members have offered to help support the development of the space to expand it by about 1/3 to make room for supported sessions in growing.
Environmental action in Eden District
PACT aims to increase our ability in Penrith & the Eden Valley to cope with the challenges of peak oil, climate change and economic sustainability. PACT is an environmental group started in Cumbria in 2008, and is part of the growing transition town network in the UK and around the world. PACT is made up of a group of like-minded and enthusiastic volunteers, committed to making a real difference in the local community.
Penrith Community Gardeners update
We will start gardening again in March 2020 (when weather permits) in the raised beds and peace garden at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane on Tuesdays from 10am. We'll be gardening there and around town in our other planters for an hour and then meet back at the SA for group coffee at 11am.
Anyone is welcome to join in and help to make our town look even better. Also a chance to grow fruit and veg and be supported by folks who know how to do it! Find us on Facebook
Films and reports
- New films: PACT & Freegle at Penrith Show, Grow your own training course, Visiting Edible Gardens, Installing a Chimney Balloon, Zero Carbon Britain, Appleby Edibles, Community Gardening in Penrith and St Andrews Churchyard
- Photo report for Raised Beds for Food bank at Salvation Army in Penrith.
- Penrith wins trophies and accolades at Cumbria in Bloom 2012 due to our Greening and Garden of Eden projects.
- Pride in Penrith - see the Big Spring Clean film.